Hey everyone, here is today's quick tip. One of the most popular feature requests that we've had so far is the ability to share files with your site members. I have found a free solution to this which is provided by Box.net.
They offer you 1GB of free storage that you can upload any type of file. You can upload files into folders and embed a folder as a widget on your site!
It's really easy to set up:
- Go to box.net and click on the sign-up button.
- Select the Lite (free) plan.
- Fill in some person details and then click on 'Continue'
- Your account has been created. Box will ask you to create a new folder, which you must do so that you can upload some files.
- Now you can start uploading files! Box provides a good guide that shows you how to do this.
- Next, to embed the folder on your SocialGO site, follow the Box guide on creating the embed code.
- Go to your SocialGO site's Layout Manager and create a page to display your files on.
- Drag a Custom HTML widget into Zone E.
- Double-click on the Custome HTML widget to open up its configuration panel.
- Click on the 'Source' toggle in the top-left of the formatting controls, and paste the embed code into the widget. Remember to save!
- That's it! On viewing your site you will see that the Box widget shows all of the files in your Box folder which can now be downloaded by your members.
There are a huge number of possibilities for uses of this. If you decided to make use of a Box paid account, there are even more embedding and permissions options available. It's very flexible!
Find out how big organisations are using Box for some inspiration.
That's all for now. Feel free to leave comments, suggestions and ideas below.